Lent 2021 - TURNING POINT

Saturday, March 27th

Denial, Luke 22:54-62 - Written by Maddy (Wyshinski) Dutton

Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at

a distance. And when some there had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, “This man was with him.” But he denied it. “Woman, I don’t know him,” he said. A little later someone else saw him and said, “You also are one of them.” “Man, I am not!” Peter replied. About an hour later another asserted, “Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a
Galilean.”
 Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” And he went
outside and wept bitterly.  Luke 22:54-62

You might think, how could Peter deny Jesus?  He watched Jesus heal the broken and feed the hungry. Often times, I think that if I saw Jesus perform all those miracles, I could never deny him.

I have to think about all the miracles Jesus has done in my life.  Jesus saved me and his Holy Spirit lives inside of me.  There are many times where I see his goodness so vividly that I think I could never deny him.  But then soon after, the busyness of life distracts me from gazing at his beauty.  I mindlessly scroll on my phone instead of praying or reading my bible.  How is this different than Peter?

After his Resurrection, Jesus comes back to spend time with his disciples.  In John 21, Jesus questions Peter three times, “Do you love me?”  This is all He ever wanted in the first place.  He doesn’t want our blind obedience, but sweet devotion that leads to joy.  After Peter is forgiven, I believe something in him changes.  He devotes his life to Jesus’ ministry, not without flaws, but with a heart deeper in love with the Lord. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog